Some notable recent events: (Wednesday, 02 October 2019)
- My recent piece for Keith Kirchoff, Los murmullitos, was selected for inclusion on the next SEAMUS CD,
- My piece walk now and then into the breath that blows coldly past was a finalist in the Kaleidoscope MusArt Crumb19 composition competition,
A few links to interviews and other miscellany: (Tuesday, 01 October 2019)
- Jeremy Wagner has been working on a version of the Electromagnetically-Prepared Piano (or Magnetic Resonator Piano),
- In a recent interview with Keith Kirchoff about SPLICE he discussed my new piece-in-progress, Los Murmullos,
- J.J. Burred just published a piece in Spanish (Esquizofonías y la nueva electroacústica) about augmented instruments in which the Electromagnetically-Prepared Piano was prominently featured,
- Guerilla Opera has released a concert narration of their recent Emergence concert (on which they performed two of my arias from the opera Pedr Solis), a great idea that they seem to be continuing!
Update-a-thon: (Sunday, 14 October 2018)
- I recently discovered that Alan Shockley's fabulous new book The Contemporary Piano: A Performer and Composer's Guide to Techniques and Resources has a great section on the ElectroMagnetically-Prepared piano.
- Ensemble Parallax, who often work with video artists to add visuals to their concerts, is taking a couple of my pieces on the road. Their Miami visit, hosted by our Performing Arts Series, will be a veritable multi-media extravaganza formatted as a live podcast.
EMPP and the Induction Connection (Tuesday, 12 December 2017)
After a long hiatus, I'm happy to be working once again on some electromagnet-related projects. I took advantage of the renewed activity to (finally!) post some example sound files to my Electromagnetically-Prepared Piano page, magneticpiano.com. See Audio Examples 1 and Audio Examples 2. Great to be looking at this stuff again!
Latest Developments (Wednesday, 24 May 2017)
Time to get caught up on my news! Here is the latest:
- The Cincinnati NPR station ran a great spot/interview on my recent premier, Arcade Variations, written for the Miami University Symphony Orchestra,
Article for Arcana (Monday, 14 November 2016)
I am thrilled to be contributing an article to the next edition of John Zorn's Arcana series: Arcana VIII. I'll be writing about the composition of my opera, Pedr Solis, and how that ties in with my research on literature and music.
New Projects (Sunday, 13 November 2016)
Some new projects to announce:
New Videos (Friday, 11 November 2016)
I recently released a number of new videos, including:
- scrolling-score videos for: